In order to qualify in this category you must establish the following:

  • That you have been a member of the particular religious denomination for at least twoyears.
  • That you have been offered temporary full-time employment to work as a religious worker with a qualifying US religious organization.
  • That the religious organization is a nonprofit organization as determined by the Internal Revenue Service (i.e. registered under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code).

A religious worker may include the following:


  • Someone employed in a religious vocation or occupation for which the minimum of a U.S. baccalaureate degree or a foreign equivalent degree is required.
  • Someone employed in a traditional religious function such as liturgical workers, religious instructors, religious counselors, cantors, catechists, workers in religious hospitals or religious health care facilities, missionaries, religious translators, or religious broadcasters.
  • Someone pursuing a calling to religious life evidenced by the demonstration of commitment practiced in the religious denomination, such as the taking of vows including nuns, monks, and religious brothers and sisters.

Once an R-1 nonimmigrant visa has been issued to you as a religious worker your spouse and unmarried minor children are immediately eligible for R-2 visa status. R-2 nonimmigrants will be permitted to remain in the United States for the duration of your R-1 visa. The children will be permitted to attend school and will be permitted to perform volunteer work only. R-2 nonimmigrants are not permitted to work in the United States.

Phone: 856.778.0590; Fax 856.874.4604 

Contact Us

Please fill out form below and one of our attorneys will contact you.


Our Office

  • Mount Laurel Office


    1288 Route 73 South
    Suite 301
    Mount Laurel, New Jersey 08054

Choose a location to review

The Connell Immigration Law Group locations:

Ratings & Reviews

  • lawyers

    I was searching for an attorney to assist in obtaining a visa for my British fiance to obtain a K1 visa to enter the US so we could be married and would allow her to obtain a green card and permanent residency.

    — Client

  • avvo

    I would like to thank attorney connell for helping me and my family with all our concerns regarding immigrations. he did an awesome job in regard with helping us bring our sister and be with us here in united states. we don't regret at all ...
    Show More

    — Client

  • lawyers

    — Client